Monday, July 6, 2009

Fourth of July in England

Fourth of July in England
I forgot to mention that just before we got to Salisbury, we made a quick side trip to Stonehenge. They were charging an outrageous amount to walk around it, so we just admired it from a little greater distance.
Salisbury is a really cool town. Whatever river runs through it is incredibly clean. I saw pretty big trout hanging out underneath a bridge. There was long, very green grass growing from the bottom of the river. The river looked about 5 feet deep and was very clear. We left Salisbury and began biking the last stretch of the day to a campground about 12 miles east. My Garmin screwed up for the first time. It tried to take us on a small gravel road. I should have suspected something was wrong, but we started riding down it. Both of us fell. I cut my right arm and a good amount of blood was flowing, but it did not need stitches. Jordan got a couple sharp rocks jammed into her backside. At that point, I said screw the Garmin and we went back to the main road. Luckily, I had written out the directions, too. We did not get to the campsite until about 8PM because the terrain was extremely hilly. We were both at the end of our ropes. I set up the tent quickly and then we rode about a mile to a pub. The food was incredible! We both had lasagna, beer, and dessert. It is amazing how food picks up your spirits. We rode back to the campsite, where I showered and fell quicly to sleep. I discovered that my Big Agnes pillow was missing. I stuffed some clothes into my sleeping bag sack and used that. I am going to have to get something better or I will end up with a stiff neck.
Today (July 5, 2009) we got up pretty early, around 7:45. We were on the road about 9AM. We had to get 50 KM by 2:30PM to catch the Brittany Ferry to Cherbourg. Everything was going smoothly until we got to Southhampton. It is a pretty large city, and the Garmin was directing me on roads that looked way to busy to ride safely, so I kept on detouring onto less busy roads. Jordan was getting upset with me, but I told her that this is what we had to do. We were sitting by the side of a busy rode when a young man drove up to offer Jordan help (I had gone ahead to scout out the road). He drove up to me and told me to get in and he would tell me how to bike to Portsmouth. We drove back to Jordan. He explained how to bike to Portsmouth and then took off. He then reappeared in a minute and asked if we were dead set on biking to Portsmouth or did we want a ride. We said we would certainly take a ride. We threw the bikes into his van and took off. His name was Daniel and he drove us write to the Ferry. We bought tickets and I then offered to buy him lunch. He took us to a great place where he used to work.... Running out of battery... will continue later...

2 comments:

  1. Technology will never replace angels like Daniel! I'm glad the two of you were not hurt worse in the gravel pit. thanks for the detailed descriptions, sort of like being there (but alot cheaper and less dangerous) Sorry to hear about Big Anges getting lost.
    Mitz

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I saw "Fourth of July in England" as the title of this entry, I thought -- 'hope Mark/Jordan didn't get any flack over the tea party...and related rebellions.' Glad you're OK. I believe there are angels following closely.

    ReplyDelete