Friday, July 10, 2009

Push to Paris

We got up pretty late today and walked into the local market in Dreux. The amount of fresh fish and produce were amazing! I wish my camera worked... maybe I am not quite over that. We bought cafe au lait and pastries. I am really stuck on their almond croissants... delicious.

We finally got packed up and left town around 11:30. We had a heckuva time navigating our of their. I though this was going to be a fairly short day, but it did not end up that way. One of the "N" highways went directly to Versailles and Paris, but they were too busy for bikers. We detoured south. All was going well until we stopped for lunch. After lunch, I took a wrong turn. Our 40-50 km day turned into another metric century. I have got to pay closer attention. I really pushed Jordan hard today, and she was not expecting it.

We missed Versailles and it would have been a real pain to get back to it. I decided to re-route directly to Paul Zilk's place, which was 50 clicks away at that point. We are staying in a little hotel about 40 clicks from Paul's. We should get to his place by early afternoon. A little R&R! We can take the train back out to Versailles on one of our days off. It has been a rough week of riding. Hope to have my camera replaced soon so I can get some more pics on the blog.

4 comments:

  1. Typical sounds like your navigational skills are second to none Mark ! At this rate you should arrive in paris in time for thanksgiving !!!
    Pity im not passing by in my van or i would gladly give you a lift to paris ! im not very clever with computers so u may not even get this message but just wanted to thank you again for lunch and just let you know that you have a friend in europe and if you get stuck at all you have my cell number . . . Goodluck ! Daniel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark love looking at the pics! They gave me the address now so I can't wait to check in daily and see how the trip is going.

    Take Care!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds pretty rough, my friend. Beautiful pics, btw. Make sure you take care of yourselves!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Daniel,

    I got your message. Send me your email address in another comment... Mark

    ReplyDelete